:: Re: [dyne:bolic] orinoco wireless c…
Author: Jeremy
Subject: Re: [dyne:bolic] orinoco wireless card not recognized
Clack -

I'm trying to compile a kernel module myself with some success. I'm
still learning so hopefully I can start you off and the other
Dyne:bolic users can help finish our projects. . .

If we were running "plain vanilla" linux, then this would be easier -
the file system is read/write and if you need a "package" (used in
Debian variants like Ubuntu) just 'apt-get install kernel-source'.
Next for custom software or kernel modules 'configure', 'make' and
'make install'.

I don't like plain vanilla linux, I like "rocky road" linux (that is,
I like to learn new/better ways). Dyne:bolic was designed to be
booted from read only media and the packaging is different so instead
of apt-get you'll download the kernel-src.dyne module and place it in
your "Dock" (refer to the manual for further "Docking" instructions).
Ideally, you would create your own ".dyne" module for your Orionoco
wireless card (but the module would need to be recreated every time
you update your kernel).

If you already have your "Dock" setup then this will help you compile:
~$ cd /dyne/modules
~$ wget ftp://ftp.dyne.org/dynebolic/modules/kernel/kernel-src.dyne
Reboot and then you should be able to compile.

Here's where I start to have difficulty - as the source for my kernel
module does not have a 'configure' script. After the reboot, the
software should compile; however, the 'make install' may fail with
something like "file system is read only" (at least that's my
problem).

So I've read the whole manual - start to finish - and I'm teaching
myself to create ".dyne" modules and I think it would work if my
source had a configure script!

I need some ideas from the community. Help!

--
Jeremy
remy.je@???