:: [dyne:bolic] Remastering with a new…
Author: Matt Grice
Subject: [dyne:bolic] Remastering with a new kernel
Hi all,

I'm currently trying to remaster a Dyne:Bolic CD with a different
kernel. 2.6.18 has a bug which screws up my external USB HD. I've been
trying to install 2.6.21-mm2-dyne from the dyne:bolic ftp site.
The method I've been using is:

dynesdk makesdk

I then copy the .krn file into dyne...

export KRN=2.6.21-mm2-dyne
dynesdk mkkern (which goes smoothly)

dynesdk mkinitrd (worked once, allowed an ISO to boot and run, but found
no kernel modules)
dynesdk -K mkinitrd (no error messages, always freezes)

at this point, the system freezes at the output "populating the ramdisk"
(or similar -my memory fails me... ), with no kernel messages (I had
been tailing /var/log/messages). The system appears to lose all access
to any discs at this point. the desktop still functions, but typing 'ls'
into an xterm sits and hangs. trying to run a program has the same result.

I'm running dyne docked on an NTFS hard drive with stacks of room on an
AMD1700 with 512mb memory.

Anyone had similar or can shed some light on to this strange behaviour?

Matt