:: Re: [dyne:bolic] Compiling for PPC
Author: jaromil
Subject: Re: [dyne:bolic] Compiling for PPC

hi David,

i read your message on the IRC, now i'm glad i can reach you back here;

On Sat, Sep 15, 2007 at 10:01:30PM +0000, david.b.west@??? wrote:
> Hi, I have managed to patch the kernel on my Power PC and compile it.

that's already a good step!

> When I was using make menuconfig, however, I was not sure which
> modules were important to load into the kernel.

i guess we should include all the modules that are already included in
the x86 version, which are almost all the linux modules anyway, to have
a comprehensive support of most devices.

> I am trying to make Dynebolic work with old macs. Any help would be
> appreciated.

so! now we talk :) i'm glad you are willing to engage such a task and
please count me in for help.

i should also tell you that last year the dutch institution
Thuiskopiefonds granted to dyne.org a little funding to accomplish such
a task: we all believe porting d:b to old Mac computers is very
important in order to give more people the possibility to recycle and
use productively more old computers.

i've been spending quite some time thinking on how to do it and i'm at a
good point also with some experiments.

indeed building the Zen Room would be quite an effort, as including
every other software, but given the size and activity of our community
i guess having a core system ready (without external modules) is all we
need to do.

my present experiments concern using a different approach than the one
taken for the dyne:II Zen room, laying the ground for the new dyne:3
build system.

i would like to have a talk with you so i can update you with what i
found out so far.

ciao

- --
(_ http://jaromil.dyne.org _)