:: Re: [dyne:bolic] my nvidia module
Author: Benito IFSI
To: dynebolic
Subject: Re: [dyne:bolic] my nvidia module
Hi

>It's a case of me wanting to have a streamlined .dyne
>module that just loads everything as quick as it can.
>
>I'm looking to use my Dynebolic machine for live
>events, and any boot-up (reboot -eek!) times need to
>be as quick as they can!

Ok, there's some differences between us, I'm on this cause both vesa and
nv drivers don't permit an comfortable X session with my card.

>The other thing is, I think the size of the module

with last script the resulting module is 7462k for 100.14.11 version

>I think the benefits to doing it this way is
>it'll be a lot easier for you to release any updated
>versions when nvidia release new drivers!

Not exactly :D

It's a bash self learning session around this Jaromil's post on this list

>what about porting Envy software to dyne:bolic?
>http://albertomilone.com/nvidia_scripts1.html
>being the case that the user guides the installation and we don't need
>to ship drivers in dyne:bolic (they are downloaded by the scripts) then
>we can include Envy in the default distribution - and still stay free.

So last script do the following :

dowload update information from nvidia site
if needed download the kernel-src module from dyne.org
if needed launch the dynesdk mksdk command
create an nvidia-version module tree
identify current VGA card and download the needed version or let the user
choose
purge installer of all precompiled interface and add dyne precompiled
interface
create an rc.script , repack the module and place it in the current dock
modules/ directory
ask user for removing SDK and kernel-src module.
ask user for a no reboot script creation

The idea is to don't have to release anything more than a correct script
because it is supposed make an updated proper version on user request.

So it would effectively be very more easier (when this damn script do
correctly the job :=)

To test last version
http://psykoben.dyndns.org/dyne/scripts/nvidia-dyne/nvidia-installer

Many thanks to you and Ryan for lots of useful information, especially
nvidia repacking command
and silent start informations.

All advices ( include "Don't do that" or "Oops it is very ugly" :=) ) and
test results are very welcome

Cheers

psykoben

Gagnez des pc Windows Vista avec Live.com http://www.image-addict.fr/