Til: dynebolic mailinglist
Emne: Re: [dyne:bolic] UNSUBSCRIBE
I almost did not reply to this email because It's quite obvious there isn't a real effort here to make the pencil sharper anymore and hey if you tilt your pencil at a different angle you can obtain different textures and shades. Also I'm big enough of a person to take the troll labeling because it's obvious the label that is applied to everyone here who has different ideas and objections is the good old troll label. You know it's really not about one pencil and one mans crusade here it's a joint compilation that by nature of linux should grow to a thriving entity a propagation if you will. In the early pre-release days I would support this kind of ill support mentality but it's well over due for these next stages to become mature as the initial programming releases or for crying out loud get some people to help with support such as a dedicated forum on the work. The Web Site and existing forum is like a static concept, it needs to be more fluid and active, there has been
more than ample time for this to have started maturing in this way. Help comes in many forms yes even critique can be helpful also ideas are helpful. In my opinion this dyne project is controlled by people who are too programmer centric. Like I said before people need to think outside of the box and bring linux to that next level. This project could easily very well do this if enough push is done. Or maybe I'm just a little more of a visionary than some. With all this said I'm not trying to detract from the great vision that jaromil and others have given to this project, it's just that I care not to see them just become another run of the mill small project that goes really nowhere after it's initial bang. I'm just saying that the next levels with any linux distro is to become more driven by support issues. I think this is the number one reason why so many corporations are so slow in moving to this direction. I, nor should anyone have to take three months of there time
out to try and figure out how to set up a basic system only because they couldn't find the info that was specific to there particular problem. Yes I hear everybody say Google it, I live on Google but I also recognize the innate problem with this kind of support mechanism and that is over redundancies and vague answers. This all leads into way to much time consumption when the answer you were looking for ended up on Google page 60 but you gave up on page 59, your forum hints on the issues with only three lines of, I tried this and no real specific cases in the manuals except for the basic 123 setup and install. No wonder there are so many try this Distro models out there because people keep trying them and they are all failing in this dept, they all fall short. I'm saying it doesn't have to be this way. For every one of you out there who spends 1 month trying to figure out how to set up a user account or a wi fi card there are a hundred others who are going to say what?
forget this crap. Now back to that "MARKET" CONCEPT. You have an opportunity here to reach those other hundred people who say forget this crap if you gear you product and yes it is a product to accommodate their needs even if you meet them half way you will go further. If you guys are so stuck on the problem of commerce and can't get around that hang up then this project was doomed from the get go. I do hope I wrong with that last comment. It all depends on a bigger thinking process, just about anyone can figure out the concepts behind algebra and physics if they apply themselves to the structured learning process but it is a rare few people who have vision to see out side of the box . Most people can't see the forest because of the trees I'm afraid. For you who are completely satisfied with Dyne:Bolic congratulations you are a proud member of the satisfied MARKET.

Eric

Richard Griffith <ragriffi@???> wrote: Adam,

On behalf of the many who are grateful for and satisfied by their dyne:bolic experience,
thank you for your encouraging words. Some people new to d:b talk about teams and
markets. A lot of people contribute to d:b, and it does function as a team, but the only
constant is one dedicated individual. This is even more true when support issues arise.
One of the attractions of d:b is its appeal to artists. It should come as no surprise
that that appeal is exactly because d:b was conceived and crafted by an artist. Like an
artist, this creator becomes involved and immersed in creative and nurturing pursuits,
and these experiences in turn enrich the other projects he touches. Of course, this
artist is jaromil, and I am thankful that he always comes back to d:b, and always makes
it grow.

As to the "market" concept; my artist friend gave me a pencil and a piece of paper. I
sat down, and produced childish scribbles. I of course went back and demanded that the
artist improve the pencil and the paper, so that I would be more gratified in my
experience. Actually, this is how I view trolls, which generally I do not feed.

I post this so that it will be obvious to those who in the future stumble onto the rants
of the less than appreciative, that the great noise about small matters is not by any
measure a universal attitude, or impression of d:b.

Sign me a grateful dyne:bolic user, and an all too infrequent contributor,
- -Richard