:: Re: [dyne:bolic] pure:dyne aka Evil…
Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Dan MacDonald
A: dynebolic mailinglist
Asunto: Re: [dyne:bolic] pure:dyne aka Evil OS - its no use to me
Oh dear!

I can't believe what happened on this thread. Unlucky
for me I joined at exactly the same time as Maxam and
as a result his 'trolling' ended up being running
under a subject line I created and I'm not very happy
about that.

Maxam - I honestly think you should just apologise to
Jaromil and the rest of this list for causing such
unnecessary disturbance and find a Linux distro you do
like or even create your own. Your incessant
complaining disturbs me, it is most unnatural for
someone to get so worked up so quickly about such a
minor thing. You have already been rightly criticised
by the rest of your list for your behavior so there is
no need for me to double that up just suffice to say
you're obviously acting out of line by everyones
standards on this list and I think Jaromil and the
rest of the list have replied in a very calm, tolerant
and sensible manner.

--- David Baron <d_baron@???> wrote:

> My two cents: (more)
>
> 4. Dyne does not have Rosegarden. Rosegarden is a
> KDE application and Dyne
> does not use KDE, preferring lighter-weight
> windowing managers.

Yes but you don't actually need to run KDE in order to
run RG- see dyne:bolic as an example. If this is a
set-in-stone policy for pure then I can't see myself
ever using it- look how long its took RG to get where
it is now. I don't see any light-weight AND powerful
MIDI sequencer appearing for Linux any time soon and
hence RG is an absolute must for any music-centric
Linux distro right now and for the forseeable future.
I'll just have to wait for dyne:bolic to upgrade its
RG, until then I'll use JACKLab.

> If one could get Dyne to install using Debian tools
> and has a nice sized nest,
> one could install KDE and also Rosegarden and Muse
> and others using this. As
> I said, I have all this on my Debian box.

Of course, but for me having to fiddle around setting
up a package manager then spend much time downloading
hundreds of packages pretty much totally defeats the
point of a Linux distro like dyne- on top of that you
really need a broadband connection to do download all
these big packages now and not everybody has that.

At the moment, the only Linux music distro I know of
that isn't riddled with bugs is JACKLab (JAD).
However, JAD requires that you install it to HD before
you can use it but I'd really like a full Linux
multimedia distro that is fully functional running off
1 CD-ROM even if they don't have any internet access
at all. We're very nearly there with dyne:bolic now.

ALL Linux multimedia distros seem to come with xawtv
but its video capturing capabilities not only didn't
work for me but it doesn't even offer the options I
require if it did. ALL Linux multimedia distros now
should come with xdtv as standard as it is the only
fully functional v4l capture tool for Linux and so is
totally indispensible to anyone wanting to do non-DV
video under Linux.

I think Blender should be included with both the dyne
distros - just because its hard to use doesn't mean it
shouldn't be included. Should Linux distros not be
shipped with gcc just because programming isn't easy?
As for pure:data or whatever I really couldn't care
less about. It is such an incredibly small niche
they're catering too with people who want to do live
coding. Even live coding needs its own distro though
so if pd was to be removed from pure it would be
pretty pointless but I don't think there's any need
for pd on dyne:bolic when those 10 other apps I've
mentioned would be genuinely useful to many, many more
people.

dan

Looking for earth-friendly autos?
http://autos.yahoo.com/green_center/