:: [dyne:bolic] dans dyne wish list
Page principale
Supprimer ce message
Répondre à ce message
Auteur: Dan MacDonald
À: dynebolic
Sujet: [dyne:bolic] dans dyne wish list
Hi Jaromil + dyne users!

I've already tried sending this wish list to Jaromil a
couple of times but I've had no response so I've been
wondering if its just that his spam filter stopped it,
he's been too busy to reply or...?

On the whole, I really like dyne but the current
version is missing about 9 or so apps that I can't
live without on my multimedia Linux box, namely (and I
really want to stress this first app because I think
it HIGHLY important to a multimedia distro):

Replace XawTV with the greatly improved xdtv aka
xawdecode - xdtv is by far the best analogue video
capture program available for Linux- in fact, when I
was researching FOSS video for the article I wrote for
Newsforge last November xdtv was the only v4l capture
tool that worked properly and the only one I could
find capable of capturing PAL DVD res analogue video @
25/29 fps (nb use ffmpegs MJPEG codec for capture).
XawTV can only capture up to 384x288 res and has
nowhere near the number of capture options xdtv has.

DeVeDe - by far the best video to video disc converter
app for Linux!

amule - best p2p app for Linux by a long shot

rosegarden - update to 1.5.1 (or later)

replace cheesetracker-qt with chibitracker cvs (or
svn, whatever) as you need the latest code to get MOD
playback and editing working.chibitracker is a newer
tracker by the same guy who coded cheesetracker, Juan
Linietsky but its more powerful and can be run at
640x480 fullscreen unlike cheesetracker which needs
at least 800x600 res to be used.

spiralsynthmodular - one of my fave linux music apps -
Amsynth is supposed to be very good also but I've not
got to play with that yet

David's batch processor - this is THE gimp plug-in
IMHO! People using konqueror or nautilus can get image
resizing plugins but those using rox, thunar, xfe or
whatever can instead use the dbp plugin to batch
resize/crop/convert images

k9copy and dvd::rip if you possibly can, but I can
see these would depend on libdvdcss2 and so are
probably a no-no

If you've not done so already then I'd also highly
recommend you try qtractor- its missing automation for
the sliders but you can see its going to be a great
lightweight Ardour alternative soon! I really like
it and Rui, its developer is a very responsive, cool
guy! Speaking of apps in development, KDEnlive svn is
supposed to be usable for basic video editing now. I
might give it a go this weekend.

Also, have you considered ditching the ROX desktop for
XFCE 4.4.0? I think ROX may be the lighter but XFCE
has a few extra features and ROX has a few quirks such
as the way it copies files

That's it,I think! I can understand if you can't
include k9copy or dvd::rip for legal reasons but if
you can fit all the apps I've listed above onto 2.4.3
/ 2.5 / 3 or whatever you wish to call it then we will
truly have the wonderful age of easy, free content
creation will truly be upon us!

Thanks very much for dyne!

dANIEL rOSS mACDONALD (DRM - heh! ;)