:: Re: [dyne:bolic] VirtualBox
Author: David Baron
Subject: Re: [dyne:bolic] VirtualBox
> There is a Virtual Manager called VirtualBox which I have run Dyne
> on Ubuntu complete with Ethernet. I haven't got sound working yet,
> although this may be my nVidia MB problem. I've also tried Ubuntu
> and KNOPPIX 5. Vector didn't work, but that may be because it's
> Slack based and VBox doesn't run them all yet. It also runs Windows
> and also runs on Windows.
>
> Its very easy to install as it just compiles a kernel module as long
> as you have the kernel headers and compilers installed and uses that
> to run the daemon.

It runs Dyne2.4.2 very nicely. I do get audio just fine. Vbox emulates that
ubitiquitous AC97 onboard chip and plays through your alsa or OSS. I have not
tried MIDI (I have usb MIDI keyboard input and output to an old ISA Yamahau
sw60xg) These should be accessable via alsa as well.

> You need to export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=path_to_VirtualBox before it will
> work. Just run VirtualBox and use the GUI to create your virtual
> machines. The distribution includes a PDF manual.

I installed from the Debian package they offer so did not need the above. If
you compile it, you can place your own symlinks in /usr/local/bin. All of
their "executables" are really scripts that test their called name and
execute the appropriate real executable (kind of silly but otherwize the
object modules do not seem to be accessed).

Of course, doing sound work on a virtual machine may not be ultimately
effective. Vbox, VMWare, Qemu, et al, are emulators and one pays a nice
penalty for the middleman.