:: Re: [dyne:bolic] dyne:bolic 2.3 DHO…
Author: Dan Conklin
To: dynebolic
Subject: Re: [dyne:bolic] dyne:bolic 2.3 DHORUBA SOLID STATE
It's because no one will pay the hardware manufacturers enough money to open the source code of their wireless chipsets' drivers.There are many, many chipsets. However, there are a few which have drivers that do exist, and work very well.One of them is Atheros with the madwifi drivers. These are the best IMHO, and give a wide range of control.Another is anything that uses the Prism2 or Prism52 drivers, but you need to look at the hardware compatibility lists to find which they are.Orinoco works well too, but I think you need to buy an older card.Some of the Broadcom sets work with the latest kernels, but you may still need Ndiswrapper. Ndiwswrapper developers try their level bestto keep up, but the manufacturers try their best to keep ahead, so don't blame them.The answer will come when people like you get very rich and give a lot of money to open source development.Dan ConklinHelp fight software piracy...use Linux!Need to know something about shooting and editing video? Ask
us!--- On Thu 12/07, tommy mcdurmon < tommac@??? > wrote:From: tommy mcdurmon [mailto: tommac@???]To: dynebolic@???: Thu, 07 Dec 2006 08:39:03 -0600Subject: Re: [dyne:bolic] dyne:bolic 2.3 DHORUBA SOLID STATEThis is interesting but my problem with Dyne and every other Linux OS is unless you are a Linux expert it is next to impossible to connect wireless to the internet. I still run a dual boot to allow me to connect. With all the Linux talent around, why can't this be done?tomgunner carstens wrote:>> Running the system of a compact-flash (~ pcmcia) with no mechanical>> parts can help you recycle laptops, while requiring very little power.>> I am hacking some old IBM models achieving from 4 to 8 hours of>> autonomy, no noise and no bad vibes for your laps :)>> > wau - this is really interesting. Is there any documentation for this, > fx which compaq> cards tested, if also works with Secure Digital
cards, which ibm models > are tried,> which pcmciaflashcardreader, how to boot from pcmcia card, etc ..> Having a silent laptop as a DAW is really an interesting device!> Thanks.>> Gunner> _______________________________________________> dynebolic mailing list> dynebolic@???> http://mailinglists.dyne.org/mailman/listinfo/dynebolic>> _______________________________________________dynebolic mailing listdynebolic@???http://mailinglists.dyne.org/mailman/listinfo/dynebolic

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com