:: Re: [Bricolabs] The Aspiration Tech…
Author: Jaromil
Subject: Re: [Bricolabs] The Aspiration Tech Manifesto

dear Devin,

On Fri, 16 Sep 2011, Devin Balkind wrote:

>    I met with Allen (aka Gunner) last week when I was in SF and look
>    forward to collaborating with him and his team to create a
>    comprehensive set of services that makes it easier for nonprofit
>    and community organizations to benefit from the open source
>    revolution taking place around the world.

I wish you good luck with that. I have a relatively long experience in
the field of free/libre software adoption by NGOs, a track I've
followed in the very middle of the hype growing, always by keeping
close contact with the directives of the Free Software Foundation, a
group of people that is sincerely focusing on the long term adoption
of technology in the so (arrogantly) called developing countries.

Leaving aside delusions and bitterness, many caused by Gunner's
omnipresence in the field playing a bullying and hypocritical
blackmail game against the very content producers he is using, the
only recommendation I can give you is PLEASE read the documents
produced by the FSF and GNU projects and start from the one about the
difference between "open source" and "free/libre software", in
particular the recent derives towards the so called "tivoization" of
open source devices.

in solidarity,
ciao

--
jaromil, dyne.org developer, http://jaromil.dyne.org
GPG: B2D9 9376 BFB2 60B7 601F 5B62 F6D3 FBD9 C2B6 8E39