著者: Lars Noodén
To: dng
題目: Re: [DNG] info pages
On 10/6/24 16:37, Hendrik Boom wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 06, 2024 at 12:33:42AM +0000, Erik Christiansen via Dng
> wrote:
>>
>> There are also "info" pages on some things. I don't have info
>> installed,
>
> I hate the info pages. I can never remember the keystroke
> combinations needed to navigate them.

I too despise info pages. Nearly all the info pages I run across turn
out to be empty placeholders. I would prefer if they were simply
converted to a popular standard format like HTML 2.1 and then people
could use the browser of their choice such as lynx or whatever.

But above that I rather wish that info pages would go away and that the
effort be put back into the manual pages, which are more important
anyway. Manual pages are not tutorials, they are reference
documents and as part of the system such documentation is obligatory.

> Does Devuan have a program that presents them in a more GUI-friendly
> way? (i.e., requiring no memorized keystrokes, but instead, say,
> memorable or intuitive icons or clickable words?)

I would guess that there is a WWW mirror of each info page at the GNU
project's web site, although not quite an actual info pages.

$ export i='lsh'; lynx https://www.gnu.org/software/$i/

Thankfully, relatively few programs are without real manual pages.

/Lars