:: Re: [DNG] So what desktop software …
Page principale
Supprimer ce message
Répondre à ce message
Auteur: onefang
À: dng
Anciens-sujets: Re: [DNG] So what desktop do you use?
Sujet: Re: [DNG] So what desktop software do you use for random things?
On 2024-09-26 05:49:01, o1bigtenor via Dng wrote:
>    Likely might be considered to be veering OT - - - please advise.

This desktop topic has wandered all over already. If we start discussing
Linux music software on Devuan, and change the subject, then we are back
on topic.

>    On Thu, Sep 26, 2024 at 5:18 AM onefang <[1]onefang_devuan@???>
>    wrote:

>      On 2024-09-21 10:55:32, Martin Steigerwald wrote:

>    snip

>      Which is another reason why I want to get my SpaceMouse Pro to act like
>      the joystick it really is.  I have a joystick to MIDI program, imagine
>      six axis of control in the palm of your hand, 15 buttons around it, all
>      driving MIDI synths and effects controls.  I think that would make for a
>      truly awesome musical instrument.  Then add my actual joystick in the
>      other hand (this I have working now), with it's 4 axis and 12 buttons.

>    Hmmmmm - - - now if you want an awesome musical instrument, (you have now
>    strayed into my beloved stomping grounds - - - - grin!), what about a
>    great grand
>    piano (I have heard a highly skilled pianist playing from full score who
>    could differential
>    between different instruments in the orchestra), or say a very nice 3 or 4
>    manual
>    pipe organ, then if you really want interesting further up the scale - - -
>    well try
>    conducting a choir where they pretty much all really want to sing and if
>    you can
>    well a large concert band or perhaps even an orchestra - - - - now that's
>    a really
>    neat instrument - - - - haven't found an electronic equivalent yet!!!

I did study music up to the end of high school, in the '60s and '70s.
Flute was my instrument back then, I'm not used to chords. I also sang
bass. So I guess being first flute counts as "playing a large concert
band"? I did lead the band sometimes.

Not even a baby grand is gonna fit into my largest backpack so I can lug
it to the park where we play every Wednesday. I guess if we split it
into parts, some members of your orchestra can carry it around.

So that's why I'm working on putting together a working synth on one of
my more portable computers, so I can just plug in my 2 octave MIDI
keyboard and start playing. My super desktop isn't portable.

I tried GarageBand on my Mac Mini last week, since it is the smallest
computer I have. GarageBand was a bit lacking, and my Mac Mini is too
old to upgrade / install the extensions. That system plus my MIDI
keyboard almost fit into my small pack. This week I'm aiming to get my
second smallest computer, which runs Devuan, setup and carry things in my
larger pack.

I use ALSA for drivers, and JACK for everything else. I prefer the Catia
JACK patchbay over the qjackctl one, but Catia is part of KXStudio, not
part of Devuan. I use Carla, also from KXStudio, as my effects rack /
patchbay. Adding the KXStudio repo to Devuan works fine. Muse4 is my
DAW. aseqjoy converts joysticks to MIDI. The instruments I use most
often so far are FluidSynth, Red Zeppelin Drum Kit, Surge, and
Yoshimi-multi.

I have a complex audio hardware setup in my home studio. I'm in the
middle of writing a script to automate setting such a thing up.

BTW, in the '80s I designed MIDI equipment professionally.

>    Find myself wishing that I could control javascript somehow - - - - ideas?

NoScript? We already had this subject on this mailing list.