:: Re: [DNG] unresponsive machine
Página Inicial
Autor: Steve Litt
Para: dng
Assunto: Re: [DNG] unresponsive machine
Hendrik Boom said on Sat, 28 Sep 2024 11:51:38 -0400

>On Sat, Sep 28, 2024 at 10:40:58PM +1000, nick wrote:
>
>> the OOM killer fills me with dread,
>
>I would so love a feature that would allow me to tell
>the OOM killer that whenever it is invoked it should
>just kill any process running firefox-esr. It should
>consider other processes only if firefox-esr is not
>running.
>
>Apparently something like that was once proposed, but
>it is not now available.
>
>Other mechanisms for nominating processes ahead of time
>exist, but they require that one provide the process id
>number, which is not available at startup time.

Yes, I made such an animal to kill dbus-daemon back in the day. It
polled every few seconds, and if dbus-daemon consumed over 90% of CPU
twice in a row, it killed that dbus-daemon.

You could do the same thing. If available memory gets below a threshold
twice in a row, do a PS command, determine which Firefox command is the
worst RAM consumer, and kill it. Personally, I'd do the same thing for
Chromium, Qutebrowser, and several others.

SteveT

Steve Litt

http://444domains.com