:: Re: [DNG] Learning C (books)
Top Pagina
Auteur: o1bigtenor
CC: dng
Nieuwe Onderwerpen: [DNG] Comparing prg.lang.s (was: Learning C (books))
Onderwerp: Re: [DNG] Learning C (books)
On Sun, Sep 29, 2024 at 12:05 PM Didier Kryn <kryn@???> wrote:

> Le 28/09/2024 à 23:40, Wm. Moss via Dng a écrit :
> > In my opinion, most people who code should not be using a language
> > that allows for pointer access, pointer arithmetic, and the other low
> > level access and side effects that are built into the language. That
> > said, there are to my knowledge no good Algol based languages in
> > common use. Pascal and its progeny (Modular, Modular-2, Modular-3)
> > never caught on and the original Iron Man became a horror of
> > complexity as Ada. The current P-Code languages such as Python and
> > Java are, for me, too slow and exhibit an annoying syntax. Propriety
> > languages such as PL/I could have succeeded if their parent companies
> > had released them into the public domain.
>
>      I beg to disagree about the Algol family. Pascal seems now
> outdated, but Ada is in use everywhere human life is at stake. It is not
> a horror of complexity. It is verbose, particularly when compared to C,
> but much easier to read. Except for fast prototyping, a line of program
> is written once and read many times; therefore reading matters more. Ada
> can do simple things simply and, obviously, complicated things in a more
> complicated way. You don't need to know about "tagged records" (objects)
> to write Ada programs. C++ forces you to OOP, Ada offers several
> solutions in most cases; you don't need objects to write generic
> subprograms. Everything is easier in Ada than in C++.

With this I would want to ask - - - how available are the software tools to
allow
me to use things like Ada or maybe even Oberon?

Then , in practical terms, how does the speed of processing compare between
C, C++, Ada and Oberon?

(I found some comparisons but don't remember Ada and definitely no
Oberon.)

TIA