:: Re: [DNG] Learning C
Góra strony
Autor: David Billsbrough
Dla: Steve Litt
CC: dng
Temat: Re: [DNG] Learning C
Hello Steve and all,

I have been following this discussion closely with interest. I have been probably been trying to "wrap
my noggin" around compilers/interpreters since 1979 about one year after graduating High school. On this topic
I am mostly self-taught using magazine subscriptions, books, booklets, handouts, community college courses as a
non-tradition student. In recent times I use mostly - blogs, YouTube(tm); online course work (Udemy; EdX, ed2go)
and this list might be the hardest to track in quality of material.) I am guessing that trying to learn the 'C'
language might have been computer language number four or five for me.

{ that is enough background }

Not every *excellent* engineer makes a good instructor!

The K&R book is good to have in your personal library and over the decades it is easy to have a library costing a
couple of thousand $US dollars. But I agree with Steve it's a reference book and NOT a good tutorial. He also
posted a good 'phase I' list of learning the 'C' programming language but was missing 'console i/o' and file 'i/o.'

For several days now I was trying to remember what book at the time got me over the 'first' hump in learning 'C'
but I had a faint memory that THE BOOK was the 'plum' book and I could not remember why that 'word' was a memory
trigger. It was not a very thick book, a paperback, and had a very deep-red book cover.

Does anyone here in their personal collection of old books have:

Learning to Program in C Subsequent Edition by Thomas Plum (Author)

ISBN-13 ‏ : ‎ 978-0911537086

regards,

David
--