:: Re: [DNG] Replacing CUPS with lprng…
Top Pagina
Auteur: Didier Kryn
Aan: dng
Onderwerp: Re: [DNG] Replacing CUPS with lprng?
Le 27/09/2024 à 19:11, Daniel Abrecht via Dng a écrit :
> Just in case, I've removed cups-browsed. It seams my printer /
> printserver is still auto detected through avahi-daemon, though, so
> that may be another vector, but I don't know.

   I think it depends on which host you did that.

   The problem with cups is that it is in the same time a client and a
server. As a server it is made visible through dns-sd (avahi-daemon on
Linux), and as a client, browsed lets it detect the  remote servers
through dns-sd. Therefore I bet you might disable browsed on the host
which is directly managing the printer through an USB connection, but,
if you have other hosts on the network, willing to use that printer,
then, those need browsed.

   There was, and there is, maybe still, a pure cups client, but it
does not use browsed and needs to be configured by hand for only one
server. This is fine for a desktop, but not for roaming.

--     Didier