:: Re: [DNG] Learning C
Αρχική Σελίδα
Συντάκτης: Didier Kryn
Ημερομηνία:
Προς: dng
Αντικείμενο: Re: [DNG] Learning C
Le 24/09/2024 à 13:02, o1bigtenor via Dng a écrit :

> Hmmmmm - - - so there are a whole pile of 'secret handshakes' and the
> like in the learning of 'C' to necessitate the need for lessons - - -
> that's
> too bad. Having read many reports of poor quality C programming I am
> somehow then even less impressed.
> You're recommending a good book - - - - imo there are likely a
> plethora of books - - - how does one determine which are good ones
> without
> previous understanding? (Seriously - - - to accurately determine the
> quality
> of a didactic text takes expertise and when one is starting the learning
> process what one is exactly short of is that - - - expertise!)
>
> Over to you for more information.

    I learned K&R C language starting in 1980, by writing programs,
with an engineer at hand to answer my questions. ~10 years later I found
an excellent book edited by O'Reilly, but I probably gave it to someone
who did not give it back. Later I found at the same editor a book on
both C and C++, which was poor about C. This was before C99, but well
after the advent of ANSI C.

    Today I'm not able to suggest a book. However I don't think it is
valuable to learn K&R C. ANSI C was a big improvement, and there has
been some other significant improvements since then, even if I don't
know all of them. I guess there are professional C programmers around
there who can suggest good books.

    For what regards lessons on  programming languages, like in every
matter, I have experienced that the learning is faster *and better* with
lessons and tutorship, at least at the beginning. This is true for ski,
and for swimming, and is also true for programming. Why wouldn't it be?

    Best regards.

--     Didier