:: Re: [DNG] Learning C
Top Pagina
Auteur: Didier Kryn
Aan: dng
Onderwerp: Re: [DNG] Learning C
Le 24/09/2024 à 04:05, o1bigtenor via Dng a écrit :
> learning Gnu C

    The title looks bad, sorry. I have a great admiration for Gnu in
general, but there shouldn't be a thing named "Gnu C". There is C and
there is a C standard and it is not set by Gnu. Maybe there is no other
ressource on the web. However, when looking at this web resource I see
it refers to C99 and Gnu extensions and this seems very outdated.

    In the mean time we had C11 and now the current standard is C17
which corrects some errors of C11. The C compilers and C libraries
nowadays are working on implementing the next standard, C21, IIRC.

    The GU C resource I found on the web also states that GCC is the
"Gnu Compiler Collection", but, a few years ago, for the second time in
history, GCC has divorced from the FSF, because of issues with RMS.

    In general there are two references for C programming: the C
standard and the POSIX standard. All OSes aim to more or less comply to
both, and I recommend avoiding as much as possible GNU extensions or
whatever extension.

    Refering to the standard is not the proper way of learning though.
I consider the best way is to take lessons, and the second best way is
to use a good book. A book about C only, not "C and C++".

--     Didier