:: Re: [DNG] So what desktop so you us…
Top Pagina
Auteur: William Peckham
Aan: dng
Onderwerp: Re: [DNG] So what desktop so you use?

> Is it difficult to answer you, cause in your replies threading is only
> visible in the HTML version of the mail. I'd prefer proper threading in
> plain text part and no HTML part at all.

I could find no way to ensure that GOOGLE would not embed HTML,
so I am doing this in MUTT. I love MUTT for short email notes, but for this
newsletter/summary it is tedious. The original email standard was simple text only,
no style, no graphics, no colr, just text. Then we got fancy.

I truly hope KDEPIM developers either fix up Akonadi for good one time or
base KMail on a better working framework. Cause KMail otherwise is one of
the best mail programs I have seen so far. It is painful to see how much
it still suffers from reliability issues in Akonadi, even though Akonadi
nowadays is more reliable than it was in a long time.

> Exactly. But since I can log in with different accounts and desktops AT
> THE SAME TIME it is just a CTRL-ALT-F3 (or whatever) to slide over from
> my Plasma desktop to my OpenBox desktop. (Manjaro thing perhaps)

> Ah, yes, I forgot that. I used that a long time as I still used work
> laptop for private stuff. I used two different user accounts for that.
> Nowadays I have two laptops. Back then it was a 15 inch ThinkPad T520
> brick. And carrying two of those around… quite heavy. These times I have
> two ThinkPad T14 AMD. A Gen 2 and a Gen 5. I also have the old Gen 1 for
> private use. Currently it is just a backup should there be something odd
> with the Gen 5. But these are smaller and lighter and thus I can carry two
> of them around if need be.

Mostly retired now, so I almost NEVER need to carry laptops with me. That said,
I did HATE to carry two, as I did for one company I worked for.
One for working at the client sites, and one for connecting into the corporate VPN.

> Quite a lot of browsers. I try to limit them. Using Firefox for most of my
> needs. But with different profiles. Mainly cause there are so crappy
> websites accessing information from a gazillion of other domains that for
> my main most restricted profile it becomes difficult to make the necessary
> exceptions. So I have a profile that allows more by default. And a minimal
> profile for some of my own server services like Nextcloud WebRTC talk. I
> know this is not doing anything odd, so I can skip the protections from
> the other profiles.

I get that. Floorp is now my daily driver, as it uses everything I need form Mozilla only faster and easier.
I keep Firefox current "just in case" and to do some things where floorp is climbsy.

TOR I use when I need to access certain servers inthe UK, EU, Africa, and certain countries in South america.
I no longer use any Russian sites, but there was a time.....
Most of Asia is now out of my list also, but if I needed a site in China.....
That is all a story for offline some day when I am terribly bored.

> What do you use Gemini for?

I do not use gemini myself, but there are many gemini pages. It reminds me of htmp1.1, or really more of the old ARCHIE servers.
It makes the pages load insanly fast.
I have the home page for my gemini browser set to an index site. Search engines still ignore gemini pages, so far.
That is probably a GOOD thing.

> [1] I bet you mean: https://vlang.io/

I do indeed. I have it installed everywhere that gcc will install.
> [2] Is V still fast? https://fast.vlang.io/

It is, although not quite as fast as advertised on most of my (slow) hardware.
> [3] https://crystal-lang.org/

Interesting. Is it self-compiling?

> > > "Klytus, I'm bored. What plaything can you offer me today?" - Ming

> What movie is this from?

"Flash Gordon" one of the first lines from Ming the Merciless

William B. Peckham
Senior Network/Systems Administrator