:: Re: [DNG] So what desktop do you us…
Página Principal
Autor: Olaf Meeuwissen
Para: Didier Kryn
CC: dng
Assunto: Re: [DNG] So what desktop do you use?
Hi,

Didier Kryn <kryn@???> writes:

>     Reading that thread, I find that the screen space available for
> productive work is, for many, something so critical that they have
> essentially one window and no pannel, just to use all available space.
>
>     I'm on the other side. When developping software, I typically use
> one or two Emacs windows plus one terminal emulator on the same
> workspace, or only one Emacs, but a browser window, because I'm
> currently developping a web server.

Similar here. One Emacs window with a terminal next to it. Browser on
another workspace. If I have a second monitor available, that's where
that workspace goes so I can see both simultaneously.
The mini PC at home has a 30" display attached and there I put things on
a single workspace. Display is high enough to stack two terminals in a
column. Ditto for browsers if need be, e.g. when comparing rendering
between browsers or light/dark mode.

> I usually dedicate a whole workspace to Thunderbird -- I have two
> email addresses and many subdirectories in each.

At home I read mail with mu4e from within Emacs. I used to do that at
the office too until they put Exchange access behind SAML. I used to
use POP or IMAP to fetch my mail initially, switched to davmail when
access became Exchange only.
Now I'm reduced to Outlook-on-the-Web ... and email productivity took a
nose dive :-/

>     In addition to these windows, I also have the Xfce pannel on the
> bottom of the screen. [...]

I just have a single swaybar over the top. Most of the time my focus is
more towards the bottom of the screen and the stuff on the bar is not so
important as to be in my view all the time.

Hope this helps,
--
Olaf Meeuwissen