:: Re: [DNG] Imap folders [Was So what…
Página Principal
Autor: terryc
Para: dng
Assunto: Re: [DNG] Imap folders [Was So what desktop do you use?]
On Sun, 22 Sep 2024 12:31:15 +0200
Didier Kryn <kryn@???> wrote:

> Le 22/09/2024 à 06:22, terryc a écrit :
> > On Sat, 21 Sep 2024 11:06:48 -0400
> > Hendrik Boom <hendrik@???> wrote:
> >
> >> On Sat, Sep 21, 2024 at 12:23:52PM +0200, Didier Kryn wrote:
> > .snip..
> >> How do you manage to get your email to arrive in different
> >> directories? Isthat a Thunderbird exclusive?
> > Sub directriesof your mail folder?
> > AFAIK, very common when you have your mail program apply filter
> > and actions to your incoming mail.
> > I run claws-mail and could not manage without this feature.
> >
> > The auto sorted mail includes;
> >
> > 12 software user lists I follow, like Devuan-user, saned-user lists
> > and more. Relic from when employment involved supporting software.
> >
> > about 15 recreational lists I follow
> >
> > about 30 email news feed.
> >
> > and about 20 of 200+ supplier I auto sort receipts and tolerate
> > 'spam' on sales/offers.
>
>     Yes. It's exactly the kind of usage I do. I think the folders
> and subfolders are meant for that.
>
>     The mails from this list go to my folder Linux/Devuan. I also
> have Linux/Debian/Debian-Powerpc, for example. These are on my
> professional Imap service, which I'm still allowed to use though
> retired.
>
>     I also have on the same server Linux/skaware, but, for some
> reason this Imap server rejects the mails from that list; therefore I
> receive them on my private Imap service and Thunderbird moves them to
> the folder on the professional one.
>
>     Something like 20y ago I used Imapfilter, with an associated Lua
> program to do that job in the background, but this makes sense only
> when you have access to some machine which is constantly running.`

Congrats on that. About the same time ago, after setting up my sendmail
server, I looked at IMAP as a way of accumulating an historical record
of all emails and decided it was far too complicated.

I decide it was just easier to feed them all into another htdig server
(#1 was making LUG searchable on the web) and access them
through a private WWW, sigh then htdig went unsupported. So I stuck to
using filters in the various mailers over the years.

The 24x7 servers were not a problem with hardware sourced from "Reuse
for Linux" programs. It was the dial-up line internet link that
occasionally had problems with overloading..