:: Re: [DNG] So what desktop do you us…
Página Principal
Autor: Martin Steigerwald
Para: dng
Assunto: Re: [DNG] So what desktop do you use?
Hendrik Boom - 21.09.24, 17:06:48 CEST:
> >     I'm on the other side. When developping software, I typically use
> >     one or>
> > two Emacs windows plus one terminal emulator on the same workspace, or
> > only one Emacs, but a browser window, because I'm currently
> > developping a web server. I usually dedicate a whole workspace to
> > Thunderbird -- I have two email addresses and many subdirectories in
> > each.

> How do you manage to get your email to arrive in different directories?
> Isthat a Thunderbird exclusive?
> I still use mutt in a text-only terminal, partly to avoid malicious HTML
> pages

I cannot recommend KMail right now cause there are still some reliability
problems with Akonadi. However… it by default does not render HTML. You
can activate rendering it. You can change that default globally or by
recipient. So you could activate HTML rendering by default for trustworthy
contacts. Activating rendering external content is another step that needs
to be done manually by default. This preference can also be changed.

Of course rendering external content could trigger invisible counting
pixels and other privacy invading marketing crap.

It has a kind of annoying vertical bar which displays whether it is
rendering HTML or not. They did it this way, cause any message about this
within the message display pane could basically be faked by a malicious
HTML mail. That vertical bar looks kinda off and it has been criticized a
lot, but from a security point of view it makes sense. That vertical bar
on the left side of the message display spans mail body and headers. An
HTML mail could not fake this bar into the header area cause it has no
access to it.

In Evolution you also have some control about how it renders messages. I
have it default to plain text, but I believe when there is only HTML it
renders that currently. KMail does not do that by default. If there is no
plain text, you still have to switch manually.

I don't know about Thunderbird, but I'd assume they provide some control
over it as well.

--
Martin