Til: dng
Emne: Re: [DNG] Printing without CUPS. Does it still work?
Hi there

On 17/09/2024 05:36, terryc wrote:

> As per subject and how do you set it up.
>
> I have a few headless servers and sometimes I need to see files/logs/etc
> printed on paper.
>
> I am still vaguely familiar with setting up
> /etc/printcap but after a few system upgrades, hardware changes and
> cups installations, a current lack a working example. So, f anyone has
> a exampe with remote printer sans cups, a look would be good.

On some boxes, I actually combine CUPS with LPD.

UTF-8 text queue:
<http://www.sput.nl/unicode/print-utf.html>
This works better than CUPS text printing.

Remote printing;
lp|lj|ljraw|Lexmark MS610:\
    :lp=/dev/null:\
    :rm=sput.int.sput.nl:\
    :rp=lj:\
    :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lj:\
    :mx#0:\
    :sh:

Remote printing with LPRNG to Jetdirect:
# Port 9100 (jetdirect)
lp|lj|ljraw|Lexmark MS610:\
    :lp=printer.int.sput.nl%9100:\
    :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp:\
    :mx=0:\
    :sh:\
    :bk:

Note: LPRNG has a slightly different printcap syntax.

Regards,
Rob
--
Safe internet for everyone: <https://www.freedom.nl/en>