:: Re: [DNG] ADA
Kezdőlap
Szerző: Peter Duffy
Dátum:
Címzett: dng
Tárgy: Re: [DNG] ADA
In a strange way, that seems to parallel my own experience.

I originally intended going into chemistry. But I flunked maths at
school (scored lowest grade possible at GCE 'O' level, and managed to
do it 3 times). Consequently, I switched to music (piano), spent 4
years at music college, and then about 10 years working on the edges of
the music industry (including 7 years playing piano in restaurants 5
nights a week). Then for some reason which still escapes me, I bought a
Sinclair QL and realised that I had an aptitude for computers and
programming. (I think the crucial factor was the QL's unbelievably
buggy firmware, and the realisation that I'd either have to figure out
ways round the bugs, or put the thing in the waste bin.) I went back to
university, got an M.Sc. in computer studies, and spent the next 37
years working in IT (10 years looking after IBM mainframes; 10 years
helping to set up, and then managing, the infrastructure of an ISP; 9
years managing about 350 linux workstations, to say nothing of their
users; and 8 years managing mysql databases and servers).

The abilities to work with computers and to write programs can most
definitely lie buried for a long time.

(Oh, and whilst learning to program, I also signed up for a few months
private tuition and took GCE 'O' level maths again. This time I got a
grade A. The main thing was that I discovered that maths was enjoyable.
I still wonder what would have happened if I'd had a better maths
teacher at school.)