:: Re: [devuan-dev] Devuan meet 2024-0…
Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Ralph Ronnquist
To: devuan-dev
Betreff: Re: [devuan-dev] Devuan meet 2024-09-05 @20:30 UTC
On Wed, Sep 04, 2024 at 03:00:39PM -0400, Dennis Clarke wrote:
> On 9/4/24 05:07, Set (setto) Hallström wrote:
> > Greetings Devuan developers,
> >
> > *Devuan meet 2024-09-05 @20:30 UTC* \o/
> >
> > Pad is here:
> > https://pad.dyne.org/code/#/2/code/edit/f9l+3fgRjsEdItrHC-5EziUQ/
> > (Please post notes prior to the meet.)
> >
> > Meet is here:
> > https://vdc.dyne.org/devuan
> >

>     Is this a meeting that I could attend with two ideas to raise ?

>         ( 1 ) a Devuan Linux installer for aarch64

>         ( 2 ) also an installer for at least one RISC-V board

>     For number 2 here I am thinking :

>         CPU:   rv64imafdc
>         Model: SiFive HiFive Unmatched A00

That'll be a good discussion. Generally speaking the "show stopper"
for installer ISO on arm (and riscv64 ?) is the lack of generic boot
method. Thus, it wouldn't be difficult to prepare the installer
software, which gets packed into an initrd with access to the media as
an iso9660 filesystem.

The boot eqipment however might need to be special purpose for each
computer model. The amd64/i386 ISO have boot equipments to cater for
either legacy or UEFI bios and media presented as either cdrom or
disk; it uses syslinux in all cases (i.e. isolinux, syslinux-efi and
syslinux proper) to support the different use cases.

Thus the difficulty is to provide a media for that boot stage that
loads the kernel and initrd for aarch64 and riscv64 architectures.
Anything after that is probably easy :)

Ralph.