:: Re: [DNG] Why use Exim?
Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: sawbona
To: Dng
Betreff: Re: [DNG] Why use Exim?
Hello:

On 2 Sep 2024 at 12:26, Adrian Zaugg wrote:

> The upgrade problem mentioned by altoid and Brad does not apply to
> users, that let exim configure through the package maintainers ...

Hmm ...

Not so.

Based on my own experience with Exim running in a *default* Devuan
Beowulf installation I cannot but beg to differ.

Being a *default* installation, there were no user added
configurations in my box.

As a matter of fact, I did not know I was dealing with Exim at all.

In my *default* installation, Exim used its own *default* non-split
configuration scheme which is probably used by 99% of all
Devuan/Debian desktops.

ie: it used the /etc/exim4/exim4.conf.template which is part of the
exim-config package, in turn a dependency of the exim-base package.

My system's upgrade to Exim 4.94.2 broke that *default* configuration
to the extent of leaving me without any information from all running
daemons. ie: to all extent and purposes, running deaf and blind.

See https://dev1galaxy.org/viewtopic.php?pid=30412#p30412 and the
follow up below.

In stark contrast to *my* setup, Brad's system (by no means a
*default* installation) was also affected, with Brad going through
more or less the same hair pulling while attempting to find the
source of his problems.

So, as I write in my post at Dev1:

[quote=Altoid]
... from stand alone desktops to production environments to server
farms, absolutely everyone updating to exim 4.94.2 was affected.
[/quote]

As always, YMMV.

Best,

A.