:: Re: [DNG] Why use Exim?
Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: terryc
A: dng
Asunto: Re: [DNG] Why use Exim?
On Sun, 1 Sep 2024 23:15:47 +0200
tito via Dng <dng@???> wrote:

> On Sun, 1 Sep 2024 20:32:32 +0100 (GMT+01:00)
> Kevin Chadwick via Dng <dng@???> wrote:
>
> > 1 Sept 2024 07:54:53 tito via Dng <dng@???>:
> >
> > > Yes,  I fully agree. The first thing I do when setting up a new
> > > box is to remove the installed MTA (usually exim) and install
> > > postfix
> >
> > Postfix is definitely more secure. Does the local system need an
> > MTA or can you just disable Exim without replacing it on an average
> > system with one person using it?
>
> I think it does need one MTA as long as you setup some monitoring
> software like smartd, logcheck, mdadm, cron-apt that sends you emails
> to your local account or forwarded root account or acts as a
> relayhost to send you mail to other email accounts (or if you are
> paranoid does both), otherwise all you need is a mail client or a
> browser.

On Debian/Devuan there must be some other requirement, like the
abiltiiy to deliver messages to a mail server. All my attempts to get
rid of Exim for a lighter mta have failed over the years. All I've
ever needed was ye olde mail to forward daemon messages to the
central mailserver. System offer sepuku on removal and just about
everything tries to drag it back.

Pine was nice in its time but I'm not sure if it would be useful to
me now. I've used, for a number of Claws-mail to drag in all the
message from various mailboxes and file/sort them.