:: Re: [DNG] Why use Exim?
Inizio della pagina
Autore: Ralph Ronnquist
To: dng
Oggetto: Re: [DNG] Why use Exim?
On Sun, Sep 01, 2024 at 09:04:08AM +1000, Tom via Dng wrote:

> > On 1 Sep 2024, at 00:12, Steve Litt <slitt@???> wrote:
> >
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Several disadvantages of Exim were discussed in a different thread. So
> > my question: Why use Exim instead of Postfix or Qmail?
> >
> > SteveT
> >
> > Steve Litt
> > http://444domains.com
>
> If I’m just sending out from a machine and have no need to receive mail I don’t even bother with postfix. msmtp-mta is simple for this with about 5 lines of config file and a /usr/bin/sendmail interface.

By looking at the headers of your email it appears you are sending via
Google's MTA, which is fine (though some might highlight a pile of
iffiness with it).

I used to use exim on the local mail server in early noughts because
postfix at the time seemed to be quite complex to learn. When now life
has offered time and wisdom (well, time at least) I've shifted to use
postfix and have got duly impressed by how well documented it is and
its modular flexibility for mail transport and filtering via separate
sub systems.

I think there is similar flexibility with exim but I haven't had the
need and opportunity to explore it further, but quite likely postfix
and exim are in parity alternatives for the MTA function of a system.

And who would object to having alternatives?

Ralph.