:: Re: [DNG] udev dmi_memory_id errors
Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Tom
To: dng
Betreff: Re: [DNG] udev dmi_memory_id errors

> On 30 Aug 2024, at 02:48, Vince Mulhollon <vince@???> wrote:
>
> On Thu, Aug 29, 2024 at 11:07 AM Tom via Dng <dng@???> wrote:
>> Repeated about 9 times. Does anyone know what this relates to and how to fix it?
>
> I remember seeing that when I was running on vmware. IIRC nothing bad
> happened, but that proves little about your situation. I no longer
> have access to vmware, but I do have access to proxmox.
>
> man dmidecode
>
> and if you're happy with that manpage
>
> sudo dmidecode -t memory
>
> On my proxmox it looks like
>
> Handle 0x1100, DMI type 17, 40 bytes
> Memory Device
>        Array Handle: 0x1000
> (boring stuff deleted)
>        Size: 16384 MB
>        Form Factor: DIMM
>        Set: None
>        Locator: DIMM 0
> (boring stuff deleted)
>        Manufacturer: QEMU
> (ha ha)

> My guess is vmware is emulating a DMI reporting to your VM that you
> have a DIMM with 16384 bytes (appropriate for a TRS-80 Model III) not
> 16384 MB
>
> If you run this on real live physical hardware you'll see your DIMMs
> report their part numbers and configured speeds and serial numbers and
> all that. The days of the old 4116 dram dip that contained about 16K
> of ram plus or minus some bits stuck on or off, and nothing else, are
> long in the past. As you'd expect by a world-wide standard, it
> doesn't work all the time. My Hynix Semiconductor DDR4 32 GB DIMMs on
> my cluster hosts are running off "Configured voltage: 0.003 V" which
> is impressively low LOL. All 18 DIMMs in the cluster report the same
> weird voltage. The IPMI is reporting to Zabbix they are actually
> running at 1.2 volts, which is much more plausible for "late 2010s
> technology".
>
> WRT it being reported 9 times I would guess that like me you're
> running something like Zabbix that periodically polls the system
> including the DIMMs, which is useful on a physical machine, but
> probably not terribly useful on a VM.

Thanks for the insight. That’s a good place to start looking for the cause.

I noticed it only because I’m running icinga2 and added in a new dmesg check yesterday from https://github.com/Linuxfabrik/monitoring-plugins. I’ll do some more digging on why it only turns up for some VMs but not all. In any case, that check plugin allows me to ignore a specific log message so it’s not causing more trouble at the moment.

Tom