:: Re: [DNG] CSS: was Why MVC: was Why…
Inizio della pagina
Autore: onefang
To: dng
Oggetto: Re: [DNG] CSS: was Why MVC: was Why C/C++ ?
On 2024-08-22 00:55:02, Steve Litt wrote:
> Peter Duffy said on Wed, 21 Aug 2024 15:08:23 +0100
>
> >(The perennial problem with web development, for me, is CSS. The
> >complexity of v3 - especially the grid module - is just mind-boggling.
> >(Having said that - grid layout is a massive improvement on anything
> >preceding it.) Then there's the requirement these days to write
> >"responsive" sites - starting with something that works and looks good
> >on a mobile phone, and then using "progressive enhancement" to work up
> >towards big (normal?) displays. It's just so counter-intuitive.)
>
> The progressive enhancement is almost trivial. I'll explain it at the
> next GoLUG meeting. I'll try to put something about the grid stuff too.
> It can be challenging, but not that bad.
>
> CSS is the most beautiful technology I've ever seen, and it has pretty
> clear definitions. The problem is that nobody's teaching it right, and
> that nobody uses ALL its capabilities, because knowing all its
> capability would be a very heavy lift.

I sometimes get the impression you can use CSS as a sorta programming
language, not that I have seen that. But for this email, I'll treat it
like a programming language.

Hmmm, I learn new programming languages in an hour, and become expert in
them after a week of professional use. I've only scratched the surface
with CSS, but never bothered to learn it, which is becoming a habit.
Sounds like it might be a great aid to my "let's avoid JavaScript on my
own web pages" efforts. Plus, I've not had to properly learn any new
language top to bottom for some time. Last one was Lua I think.

Time to bump my "learned programming languages" count to 101. B-)

Now, given that the one time I tried to learn a programming language the
slow way university students do, I totally failed at that, but they let
me skip the classes and just sit the exam, cracking open the text book an
hour before the exam. I passed the exam.

So what I'll need is some sort of "taught the right way" text, preferably
something I can download to read and refer to, or a decent web site. I
promise I'll start a timer when I begin reading it.