Til: Hendrik Boom
CC: dng
Emne: Re: [DNG] Why C/C++ ?
I haven't read much of any of this, but will respond succinctly to the title.

Why c/c++? Control. I can make very powerful type agnostic constructs that optimize very heavily for performance. I can also implement my own memory safety constructs as a matter of regimented course (internal design policy) e.g. to catch common mistakes that might happen at the higher level invocations... effectively building my own safety mechanisms into the language.

Is it more work? Yes. Is it easier to blow my own leg off with the complete freedom? Yes. Am I willing to outsource these elements to a third party? No.

Am I Luddite? I have embraced certain elements of the newer c++ standards, so I don't believe so. Features I find particularly useful in newer c++ versions are "constant evaluation functions" (a function that runs at compile time to produce a constant) and compiler hints to sort/prevent collisions with operator precedence (e.g. "explicit" keyword).

As a general heuristic I prefer not to spend time on things (e.g. dealing with other language constructs) if I know in advance that they are going to likely and repeatedly interfere with my prime directive: control.

If anything, c++ is the opposite extreme of control... and I have to tighten my own implementation standards to create a safe environment. I am fine with doing so. Others are not.