Προς: dng
Αντικείμενο: Re: [DNG] [OT] which BSD?
Hi all

Fri, 14 Jun 2024 10:53:30 +0200 - al3xu5 via Dng <dng@???>:

> Yes, I know I'm OT and that talking about other OSs here isn't exactly
> elegant... and I apologize
>
> But I have an unused laptop available, and I am curious to try a BSD OS.
>
> The idea is towards a robust, multipurpose system, preferably also
> attentive to privacy and security, with wide availability of packages, with
> a lightweight environment (gtk, lxde/xfce...) ... well I guess you
> understand what I mean... (I have Devuan+LXDE on all my computers...)
>
> But BSD is a world I don't know... However I have identified, based on the
> little research I have done, some versions:
> - FreeBSD
> - OpenBSD
> - NetBSD
>
> So, in short, I ask for a suggestion on which BSD to try.

Thank you very much to everyone for the valuable advice.

I am currently not considering switching to BSD... I am doing just fine here
with Devuan.

Simply, having a laptop to play with makes me interested in learning
something about BSD, also because you never know how things may evolve in the
future: if the systemd disease goes on any longer then Linux may, to my way
of thinking, become problematic to me, and a plan b will be needed...
(@Steve: In any case, I will never become a fanatic of those who disown the
past ;-)

So, the system use that I need is a multi-purpose desktop, with not
"exaggerated" GUI (I prefer systems with a simple and lightweight desktop,
where graphics and mouse complement the terminal).

For this, on the basis of your information and advice, I am quite oriented to
try FreeBSD (or GhostBSD) although I still remain a bit in doubt in favor of
OpenBSD.

Thanks again to everyone

alexus

--
The only way humans have learned to survive brings them to extinction.
Public GPG/PGP key: 8FC2 3121 2803 86E9 F7D8 B624 DA50 835B 2624 A36B