:: Re: [DNG] Yeah, what can even poss…
Página Inicial
Autor: Arnt Karlsen
Para: dng
Assunto: Re: [DNG] Yeah, what can even possibly go wrong? Deleting /home can go wrong!
On Fri, 21 Jun 2024 12:56:16 +0200, Martin wrote in message
<2293787.iZASKD2KPV@???>:

> Kevin Chadwick via Dng - 21.06.24, 11:58:30 CEST:
> > On 19/06/2024 16:11, Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> > > But still… that is exactly what can go wrong with an approach like
> > > this.
> > Designing footguns into your software is a new low isn't it? How
> > much design goes on in the systemd camp actually. I am thinking,
> > not a great deal considering their resolvd had cves avoided by all
> > the existing solutions.
>
> The thing is… even as in this case the config file for /home is
> provided by the distro. How on Earth can it be a good idea to let
> that command just remove everything inside of directories supplied by
> configuration files that anyone could put in there?
>
> Such an approach would be an immediate red flag to me.
>
> I wrote some software for AmigaOS back in the time, but deleting
> stuff pointed to by random configuration files never came into my
> mind as a valid use case for anything. I always had the notion: In
> case you delete something you need to be extra, extra, extra careful.

..sounds more than not like a systemd feature:
Commercially; with /home gone, your average twin hair middle manager
hits the Big Red Button to get your data back from the Big Blue Bois.
In litigations, politics etc, things will likely get sneakier, e.g.
"recovered deleted evidence" of whatever (y)our naughty enemies
would like all the "fake" news media to feast and/or fester on
"past Election Day", etc, etc, "etc."

Scenarios always come in sets of three: