:: Re: [DNG] Off topic: way for /etc
Góra strony
Autor: Olaf Meeuwissen
Dla: Jakub Juszczakiewicz
CC: dng
Temat: Re: [DNG] Off topic: way for /etc
Hi,

Jakub Juszczakiewicz via Dng <dng@???> writes:

> [[PGP Signed Part:Undecided]]
> Hi all,
>
>    Small off topic: are you using git for /etc maintenance as local
>    git repository? Are you this is that good way for make it easiest?

As already mentioned by others, there is etckeeper which can be used to
track much of /etc. I use it on almost all my systems as a way to find
out what I changed manually *and* what changed during upgrades. The
latter is especially useful if you follow the testing/unstable suite and
you end up with unexpected behaviour or breakage after an upgrade.

etckeeper includes lists of the upgrades packages in the commit message.

Recently I've been playing with git sparse-checkout to selectively track
parts of my $HOME directory. So far I like it and am inclined to give
it a try on / too ;-o

Hope this helps,
--
Olaf Meeuwissen