:: Re: [DNG] [OT] which BSD?
Góra strony
Autor: kc-devuan
Dla: dng
Temat: Re: [DNG] [OT] which BSD?
15 Jun 2024 01:25:39 Steve Litt <slitt@???>:

> If OpenBSD had had a good hardware assisted VM, I wouldn't
> be a Linux user today.

I like OpenBSD and it now has a hw vm that can run Linux with decent integration support but last I heard it didn't support graphics. I use OpenBSD for browsing and servers and actually think it is much easier to adapt to embedded use than Linux (except for hardware support such as stocked wifi cards).

I was already using OpenBSD but when systemd landed in Debian I dropped Linux for a number of years and ran Windows. I came back to Gentoo when an SSD upgrade sped the system up but windows update still started taking ages and affecting my work in the background (before a laptop upgrade) but I ended up fighting with compilation and jumped to Ubuntu Linux where the first annoyance was systemd configuration and then taking ages to shutdown due to pulseaudio. A bug in the new systemd-networkd on Ubuntu server was the last straw and I installed Devuan over my Ubuntu desktop and it actually runs much better with less RAM usage. Aside from one issue with plugging the ethernet port resulting in two connections and having to disconnect one and connect the other then resulting in the disconnected disappearing (KDE).

Netflix chose FreeBSD for whatever reason so I guess it must have some virtues but it's security is a long way from OpenBSDs