:: Re: [DNG] Backup methods for Devuan
Página Inicial
Autor: Antony Stone
Para: dng
Assunto: Re: [DNG] Backup methods for Devuan
On Sunday 26 May 2024 at 17:57:06, Jakub Juszczakiewicz via Dng wrote:

> Hi all,
>
>     For full backup nice tool is mksquashfs.

I never feel comfortable about a backup which is in a compressed format.

If you simply copy every file of your valuable data to a standard file system
somewhere else, and then that file system gets somehow corrupted, you stand a
good chance of losing only a very few of your files.

If you copy your data to something using a cmpression algorithm and the
resultant file then gets somehow corrupted, you stand a good chance of being
able to recover nothing at all.

Given the modern costs of disk capacity, and the fact that if you need to
recover something from backup you want the process to be quick, simple and
reliable, I would choose a process which uses more disk space over something
which conserves disk space but endangers restore speed, simplicity or
reliability.

Antony.

--
This email was created using 100% recycled electrons.

                                                   Please reply to the list;
                                                         please *don't* CC me.