:: Re: [DNG] About the rust language
Página Inicial
Autor: kc-devuan
Para: dng
Assunto: Re: [DNG] About the rust language
29 May 2024 22:56:43 Steve Litt <slitt@???>:

> * Can Ada easily interface with databases?

I believe so but I do not know the details. During the chip
shortage I dropped our OpenBSD, Go and postgres apu4 server and moved the functionality to Ada at the "edge" that had already replaced embedded C.

> * Does Ada have a reasonably easy way to output GUI?

A couple of ways including gnoga I believe but I use Flutter for the mobile support and hope to run Ada via it's C FFI.

> * Does Ada have a reasonably easy way to run a web application without
>   using CGI or some sort of browser or server addon?

There is aws and apparently black server and ews but no   stdlib supported one like Go has.

My favourite Ada feature is record (struct) overlay where you can convert some memory possibly just received and check each component is valid. e.g. checking if a byte in the record is a valid enum of say values 1, 7 and 18 with the built in 'Valid and being able to assign values by name; With the compiler doing all the bit shifting for you.

> Following along with the hello world I find there's no available
> gprbuild command, so that's right away a monkey wrench in the wheel.

"https://alire.ada.dev" is the new way of installing gnat and gprbuild. Inspired by Rusts cargo, I believe.

There is even an open source IDE that I really like called Gnat Studio (used to be GPS in Debian) but it is renowned to be a pain to build. You can download an appimage here. Or use vscode, vim etc. with the ada language server.

https://github.com/AdaCore/gnatstudio/releases