:: Re: [DNG] Backup methods for Devuan
Αρχική Σελίδα
Συντάκτης: Antony Stone
Ημερομηνία:
Προς: dng
Αντικείμενο: Re: [DNG] Backup methods for Devuan
On Wednesday 29 May 2024 at 08:33:20, devuan@??? wrote:

> On Sun, 26 May 2024 20:48:18 +0200 Antony Stone wrote:
> >
> > In my case I:
> >
> > 1. backup my data over the local network to a file system in one
> > partition on another machine
> >
> > 2. copy that data using rsync with hard links to another file system on a
> > different partition on the same machine as the backup
>
> Hard links across partitions? Shouldn't that be impossible, because the
> hard link is just another reference to the same inode?

You're right - that is impossible. I just phrased it badly.

I meant that I:

1. copy the original data to a second machine; this is "the backup"

2a. copy that data to another partition on the second machine

2b. rsync with hard links to a daily-named subdirectory in that "other"
partition; this is "the archive".

I then have my data, a copy of the data, and a disk-space-efficient daily
archive of that data going back some years.

All are accessible and usable using standard utilities such as find, grep, ls,
cp, rsync etc.

Antony.

--
My life is going completely according to plan.

I do sometimes wish it had been *my* plan, though.

                                                   Please reply to the list;
                                                         please *don't* CC me.