:: Re: [DNG] What is an init system?
Kezdőlap
Szerző: Didier Kryn
Dátum:
Címzett: dng
Tárgy: Re: [DNG] What is an init system?
Le 27/05/2024 à 02:24, karl@??? a écrit :
> Steve Litt:
>> What would be interesting and perhaps valuable is to create an
>> ultra-simple setup, with only the stuff you need. For instance, you
> Sounds like an initrd.
>
>> could take debian, install runit **without those lame runlevels** from
>> upstream, not from some lame package that keeps getting overwritten and
>> overwriting your original init system, switch grub so that fires up
>> runit's PID1. Then you create a 1 shellscript that mounts the
>> necessaries, creates /tmp, /dev and /proc, fires up the network, gets
>> udev running, and whatever else you need there, and then a 2 script
> What do you need udev for, isn't it yet another process to run for
> not much gain, at least for simple systems, and why do I have to
> recreate /dev at every boot, I can just have static dev files.
> Yes, udev is a pain, and hdmi and newer mdraid superblocks wants
> dynamic minors, but except that. And automounting isn't preferred here.

    Well, for a server, you can go with static /dev, but for a desktop
or laptop where you want to plug/uplug external devices, you definitely
need some brand of a hotplugger, because, yes, the kernel does create
the device files, but it gives them owners/groups/permisssions which
make them often unusable. Also the hotplugger creates/manages the
/dev/disk tree which I find pretty usefull. If I had time to devote to
it I would give a serious try to mdev. The thing is that it does not
come ready-made; you need to understand it and build your own
configuration. I like its simplicity though.

>> that runs the supervisor. Also write a 3 script to power down the
>> computer or reboot it. Run 3 when somebody calls "poweroff" and the
>> like, or when somebody sends the shutdown interrupt (whichever that is)
>> to PID1.
>>
>> Or, if your the kind of person who wants to know **exactly** what's
>> inside your machine, use Suckless Tools' Suckless Init as your PID1,
>> run an rc script equivalent to the 1 script you would have run for
>> runit's PID1, and then run runit's supervision system. I bet you could
>> have a no-dbus system this way. I'd *love* to see somebody build a
>> practical system based on Suckless Init as PID1.
>
> What is the point of having dbus, isn't it just another attack vector ?
> Isn't it just so laptops behaves like Microsoft OSs.

    Agreed.