:: Re: [DNG] What is an init system?
Góra strony
Autor: Steve Litt
Dla: dng
Temat: Re: [DNG] What is an init system?
karl@??? said on Mon, 27 May 2024 02:24:59 +0200 (CEST)

>Steve Litt:
>> What would be interesting and perhaps valuable is to create an
>> ultra-simple setup, with only the stuff you need. For instance, you
>
>Sounds like an initrd.
>
>> could take debian, install runit **without those lame runlevels**
>> from upstream, not from some lame package that keeps getting
>> overwritten and overwriting your original init system, switch grub
>> so that fires up runit's PID1. Then you create a 1 shellscript that
>> mounts the necessaries, creates /tmp, /dev and /proc, fires up the
>> network, gets udev running, and whatever else you need there, and
>> then a 2 script
>
>What do you need udev for, isn't it yet another process to run for
>not much gain, at least for simple systems, and why do I have to
>recreate /dev at every boot, I can just have static dev files.
>Yes, udev is a pain, and hdmi and newer mdraid superblocks wants
>dynamic minors, but except that. And automounting isn't preferred here.

Yes, good old mknod can do it. So does hdmi need udev, or is there an
alternative way to use hdmi?

>> that runs the supervisor. Also write a 3 script to power down the
>> computer or reboot it. Run 3 when somebody calls "poweroff" and the
>> like, or when somebody sends the shutdown interrupt (whichever that
>> is) to PID1.
>>
>> Or, if your the kind of person who wants to know **exactly** what's
>> inside your machine, use Suckless Tools' Suckless Init as your PID1,
>> run an rc script equivalent to the 1 script you would have run for
>> runit's PID1, and then run runit's supervision system. I bet you
>> could have a no-dbus system this way. I'd *love* to see somebody
>> build a practical system based on Suckless Init as PID1.
>
>What is the point of having dbus, isn't it just another attack vector ?
>Isn't it just so laptops behaves like Microsoft OSs.

The only point is that on most distros, even the simplest software
pulls in dbus. This doesn't mean you have to use it. And yeah, I
made a no-dbus setup while doing the Manjaro Experiments.

SteveT

Steve Litt

http://www.troubleshooters.com/rl21