:: Re: [DNG] What is an init system?
Αρχική Σελίδα
Συντάκτης: karl
Ημερομηνία:
Προς: dng
Αντικείμενο: Re: [DNG] What is an init system?
Steve Litt:
> What would be interesting and perhaps valuable is to create an
> ultra-simple setup, with only the stuff you need. For instance, you

Sounds like an initrd.

> could take debian, install runit **without those lame runlevels** from
> upstream, not from some lame package that keeps getting overwritten and
> overwriting your original init system, switch grub so that fires up
> runit's PID1. Then you create a 1 shellscript that mounts the
> necessaries, creates /tmp, /dev and /proc, fires up the network, gets
> udev running, and whatever else you need there, and then a 2 script

What do you need udev for, isn't it yet another process to run for
not much gain, at least for simple systems, and why do I have to
recreate /dev at every boot, I can just have static dev files.
Yes, udev is a pain, and hdmi and newer mdraid superblocks wants
dynamic minors, but except that. And automounting isn't preferred here.

> that runs the supervisor. Also write a 3 script to power down the
> computer or reboot it. Run 3 when somebody calls "poweroff" and the
> like, or when somebody sends the shutdown interrupt (whichever that is)
> to PID1.
>
> Or, if your the kind of person who wants to know **exactly** what's
> inside your machine, use Suckless Tools' Suckless Init as your PID1,
> run an rc script equivalent to the 1 script you would have run for
> runit's PID1, and then run runit's supervision system. I bet you could
> have a no-dbus system this way. I'd *love* to see somebody build a
> practical system based on Suckless Init as PID1.

What is the point of having dbus, isn't it just another attack vector ?
Isn't it just so laptops behaves like Microsoft OSs.

Regards,
/Karl Hammar