:: Re: [DNG] What is an init system?
Αρχική Σελίδα
Συντάκτης: golinux
Ημερομηνία:
Προς: dng
Αντικείμενο: Re: [DNG] What is an init system?
On 2024-05-18 14:48, Joel Roth via Dng wrote:
> On Sat, May 18, 2024 at 09:25:59PM +0200, Didier Kryn wrote:
>> Le 18/05/2024 à 20:47, golinux via Dng a écrit :
>> > In case you missed it . . .
>> >
>> > The Linux Pro Magazine article about Devuan from June 2022 addressed
>> > many of the "forgotten" points mentioned above. It was quite a coup that
>> > they linked to archival resources that I thought would never see the
>> > light of day on such a platform! It was very gratifying to know that
>> > someone with a megaphone was paying attention. Details and links here:
>> >
>> > https://dev1galaxy.org/viewtopic.php?id=5093
>>
>>     Very nice reading! Thanks.
>
> Here's another good read:
>
> systemd, 10 years later: a historical and technical retrospective
>
> https://blog.darknedgy.net/technology/2020/05/02/0/
>
> tl;dr Several of the early promises used to get systemd through
> the door were later silently discarded.

A few more prophetic offerings:

This one posted before the vote in late 2014:

https://lkml.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/1408.1/02496.html
OT: Open letter to the Linux World
From: Christopher Barry
Date: Tue Aug 12 2014 - 15:35:49 EST
(Never hurts to repost a link in several places)

And this one appeared shortly thereafter:
https://sysdfree.wordpress.com/2018/03/26/186/
Systemd: The Biggest Fallacies by Jude C. Nelson
(This is a reprint of the original article which is no longer
available.)

This history needs to be archived in as many places as possible or
history WILL BE REWRITTEN and the true story will be forgotten . . .

golinux