:: Re: [DNG] What is an init system?
Góra strony
Autor: al3xu5
Dla: dng
Temat: Re: [DNG] What is an init system?
Wed, 15 May 2024 02:10:14 -0400 - Steve Litt <slitt@???>:

> Tom via Dng said on Tue, 14 May 2024 09:13:01 +1000
>
> >> On 11 May 2024, at 10:46, Steve Litt <slitt@???>
> >> wrote:
> >>
> >> Sysvinit's process controller is, IMHO, inferior to runit and s6
> >> because it requires daemons to background themselves, and its init
> >> scripts are huuuuuuuge. Systemd advocates would also include as a
> >> disadvantage that sysvinit's process controller can't fork processes
> >> in parallel. I don't think that's a significant disadvantage unless a
> >> daemon is incredibly slow in starting, in which case, shame on the
> >> daemon or shame on the admin (if he botched reverse DNS, for
> >> instance).

> >Isn’t this parallel startup handled by startpar for sysvinit?
> >
> >https://manpages.debian.org/bookworm/startpar/startpar.1.en.html
>
> I didn't know about startpar. Thanks for the info. If startpar existed
> and worked in January 2014, it eliminated any excuse the "dd's" had for
> switching to systemd.

It has been separated from sysvinit-tools at Wed, 19 Feb 2014 22:15:02 +0100,
which means it already existed before...
https://metadata.ftp-master.debian.org/changelogs//main/s/startpar/startpar_0.65-1_changelog

Regards
alexus

--
The only way humans have learned to survive brings them to extinction.
Public GPG/PGP key: 8FC2 3121 2803 86E9 F7D8 B624 DA50 835B 2624 A36B