:: Re: [DNG] Low speeds over wireless …
Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: tito
A: dng
Asunto: Re: [DNG] Low speeds over wireless link
On Sun, 05 May 2024 20:19:54 -0300
altoid via Dng <dng@???> wrote:

> Hello:
>
> On 5 May 2024 at 12:29, Joel Roth via Dng wrote:
>
> > ... desktop can't get a decent speed connection ...
> If everyone gets adequate speeds (whatever those are), the problem
> may be the *number* of everyones in your immediate vicinity
>
> How many boxes are accesing the router at the same time?
> ie: how many are accessing it via WiFi, how many are doing it via
> ethernet and just what is the connection's available bandwidth.
>
> You may first want to try checking what happens when you are the
> *only* one using the router, whether it is via WiFi or ethernet.
>
> If the problem persists, you may want to try a different adapter as
> those thinguies are *not* all the same.
>
> Some are nothing but money flushed down the toilet.
>
> eg: I use a TP-Link TL-WN422G with a home-made directional coffee can
> antenna instead of the OEM stub and the difference in signal strength
> is more than 2X.
>
> And when there are no other WiFi setups running in the nearby
> appartments I can get a sustained 100% signal strength from an ISP
> supplied router ~45 feet+3 walls away (as the crow flies).
>
> Under those conditions I can achieve 21.50Mbps download, measured
> with the speedtest.net site.
>
> The upload speed will highly on what the type of connection the ISP
> is selling you, both in terms of bandwidth *and* type of connection.
> eg: synchronous or asynchronous
>
> That said, bear in mind that every hardware/conditions combination is
> unique, so you'll have to experiment till you get yours right.
>
> Best,
>
> JHM

Hi,
also check what other electrical devices are running nearby
(e.g. microwave ovens are killers of wifi signal, but others
like neon lights can influence it too).
2,5 ghz signals normally are more resilient to obstacles like armed concrete
walls meanwhile 5ghz is not so resilient but faster at least in theory.
One more check is to see what parameters the loaded kernel modules
for the wifi adapters support and what they do (modinfo), experimenting with them
can help improve stability.
Check if any firmware files are loaded for the adapters in the logs
(dmesg) anf if there are any newer files (packaged in backports
repo or on the kernel.org site).
Last resort is longer antennas with higher signal gains which can
be bought on the web or directional antennas that bundle the
signal only towards the access point that can also be bought
or if you like it DIY.

Hope it helps,
Cioa,
Tito