:: Re: [DNG] Devuan and Nvidia driver …
Pàgina inicial
Autor: Steve Litt
A: dng
Assumpte: Re: [DNG] Devuan and Nvidia driver not working
ognen said on Sat, 13 Apr 2024 11:09:33 +0200

>Hi all,
>
>A few days ago I made the mistake of upgrading from Chimaera to
>Daedalus. While the upgrade itself went fine, upon reboot my machine
>would hang indefinitely on "Waiting for /dev to be fully populated".
>
>I have since tried both a clean Chimaera and Daedalus reinstall. The
>machine boots fine until I install the nvidia xorg driver. After which
>I am back at the "Waiting for /dev to be fully populated" kernel
>message.
>
>Has anyone seen this before? Got any ideas on how to get this working
>again?
>
>I need the extra features of the nvidia driver, but it seems the latest
>package version does not play well with the boot process.

If this is a desktop, I'd suggest you get rid of the Nvidia and get a
Radeon. Nvidia refuses to publish their interface, so Free Software
folks must reverse engineer, which isn't as good, and I've found Nvidia
to be nothing but trouble.

If it's a laptop you can't easily just swap in a video card, so others
can answer your question about the best way to install the driver.

There's a reason why https://youtu.be/MShbP3OpASA?t=2965 .

SteveT

Steve Litt

http://www.troubleshooters.com/rl21