:: [DNG] ..why we should add Slackware…
Pàgina inicial
Autor: Arnt Karlsen
A: dng
Assumptes vells: Re: [DNG] how-can-i-help; was: ..time to snap into reality check?
Assumpte: [DNG] ..why we should add Slackware as upstream? It's old-school, just like us, was: how-can-i-help
On Sun, 10 Mar 2024 16:49:05 -0300, altoid wrote in message
<65EE0EB1.7021.51C402@???>:

> Hello:
>
> On 10 Mar 2024 at 19:41, Arnt Karlsen wrote:
> > ..maybe populate it with alien-converted Slackware packages?
> I really cannot say, all that is way above my pay grade.

..aptitude install alien oh-wait-it's-gone and if you have it
by some lucky accident, man (or info) alien, otherwise:
https://wiki.debian.org/Alien or
https://manpages.debian.org/bookworm/alien/alien.1p.en.html
or https://packages.debian.org/bullseye/alien or
https://blog.packagecloud.io/use-alien-to-convert-deb-to-rpm-and-rpm-to-deb/

..ditto for fakeroot: https://wiki.debian.org/FakeRoot or
https://manpages.debian.org/testing/pseudo/fakeroot.1.en.html or
https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/9714/what-is-the-need-for-fakeroot-command-in-linux

..why we should add Slackware as upstream? It's old-school, like us:
https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/is-slackware-the-oldest-remaining-linux-distribution-right-for-you/

..key selling points:
"The goal of Slackware is to build a true "Unix-like" operating system.
All the configuration happens through plain text files and the command
line. There are no GUI wizards. Also, Slackware makes minimal changes
to packages.

Slackware's repositories only include core system-related packages. In
fact, there are no more than just a few thousand packages, compared to
the 35,000+ packages that Debian/Ubuntu include in their repositories."

..aaand: "People who dislike systemd could be very happy on Slackware,
as it uses a BSD-styled init system instead."

..we can fork Slackware buildscripts for our core system packages so we
can ditch Debian's usrmerge and stay and remain old-school like we used
to, using converted Slackware packages as our system core packages.

..as Debian gets more infested with systemd dependencies, we can fork
build scripts from https://slackbuilds.org/

..buzz-wordy comparisons from
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=debian+vs+slackware :
https://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comments/113h9l/debian_vs_slackware_which_operating_system_is/