:: Re: [DNG] Food for Thought? Wayland
Página Inicial
Autor: Enrico Weigelt, metux IT consult
Para: William Peckham, Tomasz Kundera
CC: dng
Assunto: Re: [DNG] Food for Thought? Wayland
On 21.02.24 17:27, William Peckham via Dng wrote:
> I understand.  The free desktop guys say that is up to the upper layer
> application, not Wayland.

Yes, one of their usual excuses for their own misdesign.

It would have made sense (as the *original* intention once had been) to
use it as DDX as well as for special applications - but not directly
for average applications.

The next funny excuse (eg. when critiziing the large amount of different
per-DE implementations, because it doesn't support window managers):
"Wayland is just a protocol" ...

It's also interesting how aggressive their fangroups are, even claiming
X11 would be already dead, completely unmaintained and no new
development. I happen to be a maintainer and doing active development,
even on new extensions.

> Solutions include running x.org <http://x.org> on to,

Yes, Xwayland. But that means you're still running X, just using WL
as DDX.

> Other solutions involve VNC, RDP (ick), even WayVNC,

[...]

Not at all viable replacement for just doing

    DISPLAY=remotehost:1 myapp

--mtx

--
---
Hinweis: unverschlüsselte E-Mails können leicht abgehört und manipuliert