著者: Michael Nelson
To: dng
題目: Re: [DNG] ALSA: Host is down
On Tue, Feb 20, 2024 at 08:35:11AM -0500, Haines Brown wrote:

> > $ wpctl status
>
> This step proved to be ambivalent. When first run, a recieved a list
> of variable, which unforunatly I dnod not write down. When run again
> nothing was returned. So I did $ pipewire. Now when I do
>
>    ~$ wpctl status
>     PipeWire 'pipewire-0' [0.3.65, haines@lenin, cookie:2268942822]
>      └─ Clients:
>         31. wpctl                               [0.3.65, haines@lenin, pid:15366]
>     Settings
>      └─ Default Configured Node Names:

> First, how did you know of the wpctl command? Man Pipewire does not
> mention it and there is no man wpctl.

wpctl is part of the wireplumber.deb package. It is installed as a
dependency of the 'pipewire-audio' package. WirePlumber is the
'session manager' for PipeWire. I believe (but I am not sure) that
it is some kind of software bus for any application that wants to
connect to PipeWire.

Whenever you apt install an unfamiliar Devuan package from the repository,
it is good practice to also run:

$ dpkg -L pipewire            [or 'wireplumber', 'pipewire-bin', etc...]
/.
/usr
/usr/lib
/usr/lib/systemd
/usr/lib/systemd/user
/usr/lib/systemd/user/pipewire.service
/usr/lib/systemd/user/pipewire.socket
/usr/share
/usr/share/doc
/usr/share/doc/pipewire
/usr/share/doc/pipewire/NEWS.gz
/usr/share/doc/pipewire/README.Debian.gz
/usr/share/doc/pipewire/changelog.Debian.gz
/usr/share/doc/pipewire/copyright
$

to list the files that have been installed. This way, you know exactly
what commands are available.

> Then, why no caluse proded. Are no audio devices seen? It this what
> you would view as "failure"?

Yes, the last lines of 'wpctl status' should describe the audio sources
and sinks of your audio hardware. E.g., this is what 'wpctl status'
reports when I run it on my box:

$ wpctl status
Settings
 └─ Default Configured Node Names:
         0. Audio/Sink    alsa_output.usb-BEHRINGER_UMC404HD_192k-00.analog-surround-40
         1. Audio/Source  alsa_input.usb-BEHRINGER_UMC404HD_192k-00.analog-surround-40
$

Did you create the two configuration files as I described much earlier
in this thread? E.g.:

/etc/pipewire/pipewire.conf.d/10-wireplumber.conf
/etc/pipewire/pipewire.conf.d/20-pipewire-pulse.conf

PipeWire will definitely *not* work properly without these two files
being correct.

> > Could you please run /usr/sbin/alsa-info as *root*
>
> Surprise. Were this this command come from?

Another good command to know is 'dpkg -S' (search). It shows the
package that owns a particular file. So, for instance when you're not
sure where a program or file came from, run:

$ dpkg -S alsa-info
alsa-utils: /usr/sbin/alsa-info
alsa-utils: /usr/share/man/man8/alsa-info.8.gz
$

Haines,

I'm going to move our conversation back into the Devuan mailing list so
other people struggling with PipeWire can solve their issues and add
their expertise, if that's ok with you? So please reply to the list,
rather than to my email directly.

-= M =-