:: Re: [DNG] [OT] Re: Another great ar…
Página Inicial
Autor: onefang
Para: dng
Assunto: Re: [DNG] [OT] Re: Another great article about overbloatatiousness and complexification
On 2024-02-19 10:54:29, Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> Hi Steve.
>
> Albeit at least somewhat off-topic for the scope of the Devuan project,
> still an interesting subject.
>
> Steve Litt - 19.02.24, 06:18:11 CET:
> > See https://www.theregister.com/2024/02/12/drowning_in_code/
>
> Indeed, indeed. I can really recommend to read through Nikolaus Wirth's
> plea for lean software.
>
> For a little educational fun project I tried out assembling a hello world
> example with flat assembler in Debian package fasm. The example source is
> also in the package. The executable is less than 300 bytes. Yes, you read
> that right: *bytes*. Hello world unstripped with gcc compiled C source is
> about 15,5 KiB. Even stripped it is about 14,1 KiB. So we waste about 15
> KiB for every single executable in Debian/Devuan it seems. On my system
> that is already more than 4000 files in /usr/bin and /usr/sbin alone.

Have you seen the GNU hello world C source code? It goes on for pages.

> As I worked on an Amiga related book project, a German language book about
> AmigaOS 3.2 I worked quite a bit with AmigaOS again. Even after decades I
> could still tell what every file is for. AmigaOS boots from hard disk
> faster than Linux boots from SSD and that on a lot slower hardware.
> Granted, it had no memory protection, multi user and some other features
> that I'd consider essential these days. However… as Nikolaus Wirth
> correctly states that still does not explain the bloat in current
> software. Even Minix could be booted from floppy disk back in my Amiga 500
> times. On the Amiga :).

I used to be an Amiga developer. A friend of mine would compress
executables on his Amiga systems, one of those things where they would
uncompress themselves when you run them. He was impressed with how
little a certain program I wrote would compress. I wrote it in a mix of
C and assembler, for speed and small size.