:: Re: [DNG] Problem upgrading chiamer…
Kezdőlap
Szerző: al3xu5
Dátum:
Címzett: dng@lists.dyne.org
Tárgy: Re: [DNG] Problem upgrading chiamera to daedalus
Mon, 08 Jan 2024 11:08:40 +0900 - Olaf Meeuwissen <paddy-hack@???>:

[...]
> > My sister has a pc desktop and a laptop I installed to her with Chimaera
> > some time ago.
> >
> > Yesterday she asked me to upgrade both these machines, so I did a
> > dist-upgrade from chimaera to daedalus on both, following this procedure:
> > - # apt-get update && upgrade (on the existing chimaera installation)
> > - change /etc/apt/sources.list pointing to the Daedalus repositories
> > - # apt-get update
> > - # apt-get upgrade
> > - # apt-get dist-upgrade
> >
> > Now on both the machines I have this error (some part of the message is in
> > Italian, but I think you can understand the problem):
> >
> > ~~~
> > Elaborazione dei trigger per initramfs-tools (0.142)...
> > update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-5.10.0-16-amd64
> > W: No zstd in /usr/bin:/sbin:/bin, using gzip
>
> Note that both /sbin and /bin are searched in addition to /usr/bin so
> this is *not* usrmerge induced. I understand you have installed zstd
> since but it is just a warning and gzip is being used instead.
>
> > cpio: errore di scrittura: Spazio esaurito sul device
>
> Machine translation: writing error: Out of space on the device

Indeed

> > E: mkinitramfs failure cpio 2
> > update-initramfs: failed for /boot/initrd.img-5.10.0-16-amd64 with 1.
> > dpkg: errore nell'elaborare il pacchetto initramfs-tools (--configure):
> > il sottoprocesso installato pacchetto initramfs-tools script
> > post-installation ha restituito lo stato di errore 1
> > ~~~
> >
> > Some clarifications:
> > - / and /boot are on the same partition which has several GB of free
> > space
>
> This may not have been true during the upgrade process.
> Please make sure with
>
> df -h / /boot
>
> You can ignore any errors about /boot if it's really on the same
> partition but you should check the Avail column.
>
> If needed, you can free up space with
>
> apt clean
>
> in case /var is on the same partition as /.
>
> If you have say more than 100MB that should be enough.

On both machines there are about 95MB left (/ /boot and /Var are on the same
partition)

> Then try
>
> dpkg --configure --pending

[...]

Done... No success...

Yesterday I went back to my sister...

On both machines I could install new packages (but not new kernels), still
having the error message.

I did some other investigation and researches, coming to this:

Adding `MODULES=dep` to /etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d/modules
solved the problem on the laptop, but *not* on the desktop.

The latter has a lot more packages installed... I presume there is a bit less
free space on the partition and this could be the reason (?)...

Still I cannot understand...

Other ideas?

Regards
alexus

--
The only way humans know to survive is to extinguish themselves.

Public GPG/PGP key: 8FC2 3121 2803 86E9 F7D8 B624 DA50 835B 2624 A36B